Thursday, January 17, 2008

Meh

I've heard fabulous things about Book of a Thousand Days. It's a modern retelling of a fairy tale, it's lyrical, it's totally unique, etc. A gentry "lady" (really a girl) and her maid are locked into a tower; they escape; they become kitchen maids; one finds true love and the other finds herself. Happy ending, nice details, loved the Mongolia/Asia setting, etc. So can I confess I didn't really like it?

It's a different style than I normally read, that's true, but I just couldn't get into the story. And I'm not really sure why. The characters were all distinct and realistic. The plot was interesting and the diary form wasn't distracting in the least. I like YA, so that wasn't an issue.

So I've been thinking and have come to a decision: there are some books that I would read and some that I wouldn't re-read. This is one that I wouldn't re-read. I think I may start labeling books as a "re-read" (as in I'd re-read it) and "possibly re-read." If I don't put "re-read" on it, I won't re-read it. I'm going to go label my other posts now, too, if I like them enough.

Let's be clear here; I like to re-read books. The Blue Castle by L.M. Montgomery? I've read it seven or eight times. Pride and Prejudice, The Cheney Duvall series, Dani Ross mysteries, Georgette Heyer's books and literally, hundreds more. So when I give a book a "re-read status," that means I enjoyed it and that it's enjoyable enough to savor more than once.

Anyway, Shannon Hale's book was fine, but just wasn't for me.

Rating: 7/10 (because really it was a good book, even if I didn't like it)

No comments: