Saturday, January 19, 2008

I'm really not that picky...

So, I generally like most books I read, or at least I like them enough to finish them. Alas, I finished The Girl of the Limberlost, but I hated every minute of it.

With the help of this book, I've realized something very important: I don't like books written between 1900-1920. I hate the slang, the style of writing and yeah, I've hated every book that I've read from that time period. P.G. Wodehouse, I'm sorry, the one book of yours that I tried to read (written in the '20s, I believe) was even more annoying than this one.

Take a look at that cover. Would you like to meet this girl? I wouldn't---she seems annoying, all about Nature (that's nature with a capital N) and moths. Yes, moths fill this girl's every thought. Good thing Elnora (that's her annoying name) meets a guy who feels the same way! Oh, no, wait, he's engaged. Oh whew, he breaks it off because Elnora is PERFECT and wouldn't break off their engagement at a dance like that other tramp did.

Yeah, this book was all about moths and how perfect the main character, Elnora, is. Her hardship is that her mom doesn't love her and that they're poor, yadda, yadda, yadda, oh wait, her mom actually does love her, they're not poor (which the mom never realized BECAUSE SHE NEVER ASKED FOR HER BANK BALANCE---omg), and if Elnora catches butterflies, caterpillars and freaking MOTHS, she can buy nice clothes and the friendship of her peers. Oh, and yes, everyone loves Elnora because she's PERFECT. I can't stand perfect heroines. And I'm just not into nature. Some of L.M. Montgomery's books even go a little over the top on nature descriptions, but I can handle those because she's such a beautiful writer.

Suffice it to say that the only reason I finished this book is to see what the plot was, because I had no idea where the book was going. Her "hardship" (being poor) was solved in the first few chapters. I should've quit there. Take my advice and don't start this book (unless you're into moths and all that crap).

Rating: 4/10

No comments: