Thursday, May 15, 2008

Rule of boring

Okay, here's the thing: my friend Becca recommended The Rule of Four and let me borrow her copy. The book is advertised as an academic Da Vinci Code--but it's not. (I'm sorry I didn't love it, Becca--I really wanted to!)

However, 56% of the people who reviewed the book on Amazon.com gave it a one or two-star rating. I am not alone!

Really, I just blame the marketing; if it had been promoted as an academic novel (lots of Greek, philosophy, etc.) with a hint of intrigue, it would've been better. I just went into it with different expectations.

The book centers on four Princeton students' senior year. The book is sort of about their friendship, but it's more about this ancient, mysterious book that begins with an "H" and I can't remember now. Anyway, one student unravels the hidden meaning and it leads to action...but the most exciting action is only alluded to; seriously, it was a WEAK ending--you think someone is dead, but oh wait....five years later, maybe he's not? (FIVE YEARS later??? What a jerk friend!)

Anyway, if you're bored, give it a shot. If you want an awesome academic novel, try The Secret History by Donna Tartt--it's truly fabulous.

Rating: 5/10

No comments: