Saturday, May 31, 2008

Even better!

I've continued reading Elizabeth Peters' Vicky Bliss series and wow--this is definitely a case where the second book in the series was way more enjoyable. Street of the Five Moons was thoroughly enjoyable.
To be honest, I have no idea why this cat is on the cover. I don't get it. Whatever, let's talk about the book, which featuers Vicky Bliss, a museum curator in Munich. I talked about the first book in the series here.

Vicky, as a character, was far more enjoyable and less focused on proving her intelligence. She's more focused on sleuthing--and romance (well, kind of). There's a slightly complicated plot involving jewelry, metal work, lying, kidnapping and theft. The plot was interesting and kept the book moving, yet didn't overshadow the characters.

Speaking of characters, I really liked the introduction of John Smythe, who I guess will be in later books. He's a con man, thief, etc., who Vicky has a few romantic entanglements with--but there's a tension between how bad or good he really is. Vicky and John had great dialogue and interaction; the two of them make this book a definite re-read.

Overall, it was a satisfying read and my kind of mystery--interesting, filled with great characters and humorous.

Rating: 9/10

No comments: