Tuesday, September 8, 2009

So Freakin' Cute

Not too long ago, I read a review by Angie on Jennifer Echols' Going Too Far. She suggested that it'd be a good fit for fans of Simone Elkeles' Perfect Chemistry. Seeing as I adored Perfect Chemistry, I immediately added Going Too Far to my TBR list.

Well, she was right--I loved Going Too Far as well. I couldn't put it down. I started reading it around 9:45 p.m. last night (big mistake). An hour later, I had to force myself to put it down so I could go to bed. Today I thought about it on and off all day, excited to finish it.

The plot is fairly simple: bad teen girl gets in trouble and as punishment, is forced to spend her spring break with a cop during his night shift, driving around their small town and doing police-y work. And they just might end up falling for each other...

But what takes the work above the standard plot is the writing and the characters themselves. I literally laughed out loud at some parts and smiled out of sheer enjoyment at others. Meg and the police officer both have their own issues to work through, but they do and don't let a Big Misunderstanding keep them apart. And did I mention that the book is so freakin' cute? The characters aren't cutesy in themselves but the writing makes the story adorable. Sometimes all you want is a happy, funny story and this fit the bill perfectly.

Rating: 10/10

4 comments:

Brahmin in Boston said...

Thanks for posting the reviews Rachel! I was looking forward to seeing one of you read "Going too far" and reviewing it.

I, too, read the Perfect Chemistry and had posted the reviews in my blog too... I LOVED it major time!

rachel said...

Have you read "Going Too Far" yet? I'm sure you'll like it!

Brahmin in Boston said...

No I haven't yet read it. But will request it in the library ASAP :-)

Angiegirl said...

Oh, I'm so glad you enjoyed it, Rachel! When an author can create such sympathetic characters and show us how they grow and come to understand each other it really is a delightful thing. I still laugh sometimes when I remember her saying, "I am full of fear." :)