Tuesday, July 1, 2008

kicky

I get on reading kicks where I devour every book a specific author has written. This usually happens in the summer, particularly back when I was in college.

One summer it was Elinor Lipman (amazing writer!). One spring/summer it was Georgette Heyer. This past year or so I've read most, if not all, of Helen Fielding, Mary Stewart, M. M. Kaye and Stephenie Meyer's works.

This is definitely an Elizabeth Peters summer. I've realized I don't like her writing as Barbara Michaels, but really, really like her EP novels.

The Camelot Caper was her latest work I read. It features John Smythe from the Vicky Bliss series--but this one actually was written first. To be honest, Smythe or "Cousin John" in this book, stole the book. He upstaged the hero, even though he was one of the bad guys. I can see why Peters liked him so much that she brought him into another series. Camelot features art thievery, romance and plenty of action. It's definitely fun summer reading.

Rating:8/10

Anyway, this is the perfect time for me to devour all of Peters' books, especially her Vicky Bliss series, as there's a new Vicky Bliss book out this summer (the first one in a decade!). From what the publisher has said, it's the last one, too. The Laughter of Dead Kings will be out August 26, published by Harper Collins.

2 comments:

Shadowfax said...

Hi Rachel,

Thank you for posting on my blog. Please send me your email address at nbrown@aftertherayne.com so that I can send you further information on what I need from you.

Best regards,

Nikie Brown
After The Rayne - Handmade Soaps & Bath Products

Anonymous said...

Oh, I know exactly what you mean - I spent a very enjoyable few months reading Elizabeth Peters' Amelia Peabody series. It is one of my all-time favourites!