Wednesday, June 11, 2008

I forgot

I forgot two things: Hottie Monday and the other book I read last week. Um, sorry about the guy...sometimes my inspiration is weak.

However, I thought that the guy who played the groom in Panic At The Disco's "I write sins, not tragedies" video had beautiful eyes (and I'm not a girl who usually notices eyes). So meet Daniel Isacc:
Evidently he took this photo himself. Whatever, watch the video to see him in action.

The book I forgot was the one I actually wanted to talk about: Looking for Salvation at the Dairy Queen by Susan Gregg Gilmore.


The cover convinced me to read it--you can't really see it, but the stars in the background are very pretty and combined with that font, well, I was hooked. Also, in a rarity, the cover copy described perfectly what happened in the book, without giving away anything. Congrats, copywriter--you rocked.

This is definitely southern lit. Catherine Grace Cline, a preacher's daughter, dreams of the day she'll be able to leave her tiny Georgia town. The book follows her from elementary school days to past high school, tracing her dream all the way. The big issue is whether she'll be content with her down-home boy and ordinary life with him, or whether Atlanta will make her happy. (Guess what happens.)

The book is kind of surfacy--most of the characters are almost caricatures of typical Southerners. (At least I think...what do I know, I'm a Yankee.) And the ending of the book was kind of weak...plus the author threw in a major curveball that went no where. That whole aspect really bothered me...it was a new character that shouldn't have been added.

Basically, it just reminded me of a typical debut novel--good but definitely room for improvement. I think this author will get much better in time.

Anyway, overall it was good summer reading and if you're in the mood for Southern lit, give this new author a shot.

Rating: 7/10

No comments: