Monday, January 12, 2009

Confession: I rather liked it

Back in June, I read Diana Peterfreund's Secret Society Girl. Whether it was the traveling I did that weekend or my attitude or the expectations that I brought to the book, I just didn't like it. However, so many of my favorite book bloggers really seemed to enjoy it, so I decided to give the rest of the series another shot. I'm glad I did.

Yes, I did enjoy book two, Under the Rose and there's one character in particular that I just really, really like: Poe. We actually learn his full name in this book and Amy has more interaction with him. (Confession: Before I decided to continue with the series, I peeked ahead to book three just to make sure Poe was in it. And I liked what I read in book three that concerned Poe, hence my reading book two...) If you're in the mood for Ivy League secret society intrigue, give these books a shot.

On a side note, while prowling around Peterfreund's site, I ran across a new book of hers titled Rampant. After reading the description on her site, I immediately emailed my brother and we agreed that Rampant sounds freakin' awesome, hilarious and astounding. Here's the description:

Forget everything you ever knew about unicorns… The sparkly, innocent creatures of lore are a myth. Real unicorns are venomous, man-eating monsters with huge fangs and razor-sharp horns. And they can only be killed by virgin descendants of Alexander the Great. Fortunately, unicorns have been extinct for a hundred and fifty years. Or not.

You better believe I'm going to read this book.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have such a big grin on my face. You will love book 3.

And yes, Rampant sounds amazing - I can't wait.

Li

rachel said...

I'm looking forward to reading it (mainly because of Poe)!

Angiegirl said...

Ah, Poe. I love him so. Can't wait to hear what you think of #3. And I agree completely. Rampant looks awesome.

Kim Mierau said...

Oh my gosh. WHAT? That description is awesome. I can't believe it's real.