Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Nerves = Reading

I'm waiting to hear back about two jobs and the suspense has been eating away at me for the last week. In order to distract myself, I've been watching a lot of Olympics (go men's volleyball!) and reading constantly.

Here's what I've read since Monday:

The Dead Sea Cipher by Elizabeth Peters -- A stand-alone mystery featuring biblical archeology, spies, romance and classic Peters writing. It was fun, easy reading and suited my mood perfectly. I like that I can trust Peters for a good vintage read.

Rating: 8/10

The Willoughbys by Lois Lowry -- This book for children (but probably appreciated more by parents) pokes fun at all sorts of classic clichés--nannies, orphans, abandoned babies, missing heirs...you get the idea. It was thoroughly enjoyable.

Lowry added a darling (silly word, I know, but it is darling!) glossary and a bibliography of books she satirized at the end. Here's her description of Toby Tyler; Or, Ten Weeks With The Circus by James Otis: "An orphan named Toby runs away and joins the circus, but it is not a happy experience. His employer is a villian named Mr. Lord. The only one who loves him is a monkey. But the monkey dies." I've never heard of this book, but I want to read it!

Rating: 8.5/10

Bewitching Season by Marissa Doyle -- It features twin sisters who practice magic. The girls are living in pre-Victorian England and are, of course, wealthy. They are about to go into their first season when their governess is kidnapped. They plot to rescue her but titled gentry, pretty dresses and society distract them. To be honest, this book didn't do that much for me...familiar plots, silly love problems, etc. It's definitely a YA book.

Rating: 7/10

No comments: