Tuesday, August 12, 2008

My rating is ironic, yet true

After I added The Eight by Katherine Neville to my wish list, I started seeing it everywhere. At bookstores, on random websites, blogs, etc. I thought it was a bit odd, especially since the book is 20 years old. As the cover proudly proclaims, it is an "INTERNATIONAL BESTSELLER."

Overall, it was good. The story shifts between the 1790s and 1970s--it follows two women who are playing "The Game." Basically there's this chess game that has been in existence for thousands of years and holds a secret too powerful for ordinary people. Both women are playing the game and yet are connected through time. The story crosses over the world and history.

While the changing perspectives and years sometimes were a jarring shift, the book keeps your interest. Both plotlines are interesting. I'd recommend this book for fans of The Da Vinci Code or an academic thriller.

If you'd like to read it for free--and online--visit here before August 18 and download it.

Rating: 8/10

No comments: