Friday, May 9, 2008

The Pause That Refreshes

In honor of this last book that I read, I just finished off an iced glass of Coca-Cola. After all, reading For God, Country and Coca-Cola: The Unauthorized History of the Great American Soft Drink and the Company That Makes It made me thirsty for a nice glass of Coke.


It's no secret to my friends that I love Coca-Cola (which I learned, thanks to this book, is always hyphenated). That picture is of a train station I saw in Germany. What a fabulously huge advertisement.

Anyway, the book only covers up to 1990, but it's still a fascinating look at Coke. I learned all sorts of trivia like:
*Coke caused riots in France.
*For decades, Coke referred to Pepsi as "the competitor," "the enemy" and other names--but never by the P-word.
*The introduction of "New Coke" caused a huge uproar--so huge that Coke brought back the old formula.

If you like corporate history or Coca-Cola, you'll like this book. It was interesting enough to keep me entertained--and I generally don't read nonfiction!

Rating: 9/10

No comments: